The new Yoga in America Study has been released, giving us the most thorough statistics on yoga in America since the last study came out in 2012, and it’s all pretty exciting news if you are in any way involved in yoga! There are a lot of interesting details in there about yoga students, yoga teachers, and yoga studios. If you are a yoga teacher or yoga studio owner, it’s definitely worth looking through the 87 page document.
Here are some of the things I found most interesting:
- The total number of people practicing yoga has continued to grew at an amazing rate. Approximately 37 million people practice yoga in the United States, up from 20 million in 2012.
- The number of men practicing yoga has also exploded! The number has more than doubled in these last few years. That’s awesome! Men are finally starting to get the clue that yoga is for everyone. And women have typically hovered around 80-90% of the people doing yoga, with these new statistics, they are down below 80% for the first time that I have ever seen (78% but that’s a big shift!).
- 2012: 4 million men practicing yoga in the United States
- 2016: 10 million men practicing yoga in the United States
- The top three qualities that people believe make up a great yoga instructor
- Is warm and friendly
- Easily understood/clear with instructions
- Is knowledgeable about the poses (asana)
- And rounding off the top 10: Participates in ongoing learning, is challenging, and focuses on the spiritual aspects of yoga
- This validates why I spend so much time on these things in teacher trainings.
- Connect with your students! Talk with them before and after class. Get a sense of their goals, any injuries they have, and who they are as people.
- Clear, direct language is IMPORTANT! People need to be able to understand what to do, even if they can’t see you (heck, they should be able to do it with their eyes closed).
- Anatomy and kinesiology! They are sooo important! You need to know how the body works and moves, so you can understand the postures! It’s not enough to simply memorize postures You have to know how each body can work around, into and out of those basic shapes.
- As a father, it was great to see the statistic that 37% of households have a child under the age of 18 that has taken a yoga class or considers themselves a yoga practitioner.
- The majority of people are going to yoga 2-4 times a week, which means people are heading into yoga classes more often then ever before!
You can check out and download the full study in PDF form HERE.
You can also check out the info-graphic below for some highlights!
And feel free to share this blog post with anyone who you think might find it interesting!